Gas and gas pains can strike at any moment especially in crowded places or in some important meetings. Through passing intestinal gas isn’t much serious, it is embarrassing. Most of the people pass at least 10 times a day.
- High fiber foods
- Swallowed air
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Gluten intolerance
- Artificial additives
- Voluntary or involuntary passing of gas in the form of belching or flatus.
- Sharp pains in the abdomen.
- Knotted feeling in abdomen.
- Swelling and tightness in abdomen (bloated feeling).
- Medical history
- Review of dietary habits
- Physical examination
Bloating with or without visible distention might affect up to 96% of patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders, as well as 10-30% of the general population.
More than 65% of patients presenting with bloating or distention rated the symptoms as moderate to severe in intensity, while 54% of them reported that the symptoms influenced their daily activities and 43% had to resort to the use of medication.